Wednesday, October 4, 2017
I am Gandhi - 7.6 stars
I love this ordinary people change the world series. The newest book in the series is I am Gandhi and it doesn't disappoint. It is clearly aimed at a younger set than the Who Was series, but it still packs a lot of information while also making it funny and attention grabbing for little ones. For example, I am Gandhi talks both about Gandhi's efforts to achieve equality for Indians in South Africa before then discussing his protests against British rule and treatment of the untouchables back in India. It culminates with the salt march that set India on the road to independence. Heavy stuff to be sure, but it adds some levity by discussing Gandhi's fear of snakes and having a little kid interject "Truth Force" in the pictures regularly - a reference to Gandhi's mantra of Satyagraha as the only way to fight against unfair treatment. Highly recommend.
Suggested ages: 4 to 9.
Finn - 7 stars. "It was funny in an informative way. I think kids would like the book because it's a biography and for people who aren't as good at reading yet, they can read the "I Am" series and then grow into the "Who Was" series. It was funny because this little guy keeps popping up and saying 'Truth Force.'"
Lourdes - 6 stars. "It isn't the best book, but it was really good. I liked that it was really funny when a person said "oh look a snake, would you like to see it?" and Gandhi said "I would very much NOT like to see it." I also learned that Gandhi went to jail a lot of times fighting for what's right."
Sabine - 10 stars. "I give it 10 stars because I learned that Gandhi was fighting for the right thing. And I also liked how he gave a British guy shoes. Then the British man gave them back to Gandhi because he really liked them and wore them for many summers but was never worthy of wearing Gandhi's shoes."
Note: we changed to a 1 through 10 scale because my husband thought the 1 through 5 scale was allowing the kids to grade inflate. This is what growing up with two lawyers gets you.
Amazon link in case you are interested.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment