As the kids have started pulling Halloween books off the shelf this week, we thought we'd share some of our favorite picture books. These are primarily geared towards the 2-6 year age group, but my 9 year old still enjoys them.
Pinkalicious: Pink or Treat by Victoria Kann. Trick-or-treating is cancelled after a storm takes out Pinkville's power. The mayor doesn't believe it's safe to go door-to-door in the dark. So Pinkalicious saves the day by planning a town wide Halloween party in the public park lit by pumpkins and flash lights. Halloween is saved!
Sabine: "Why I like this book is because I liked how Pinkalicious thought about how she could save trick or treating. She went to the mayor and told her the idea. And the mayor thought about it and the mayor wanted people to still have Halloween so she went along with Pinkalicious' idea."
Miss Fiona's Stupendous Pumpkin Pies by Mark Kimball Moulton. A cute book about the local witchy woman who makes everyone's Halloween special by serving her famous pumpkin pies to the town after trick-or-treating concludes. She is most beloved as a result, even if she is a bit kooky.
Lourdes: "I give this book a 4 because it isn't the best book, but it is very good. I like how Fiona serves pumpkin pie to everyone. Not just she gets it, she serves it to everyone. I also like how she picks one person to help her serve, but there are other Halloweens that the other kids will get a chance. I like how she tells the specific person that was picked that year (a pink bunny)."
Frankie Stein by Lola Schaefer. Mr. and Mrs. Stein are underwhelmed at little Frankie's scariness level. They try to make Frankie be scary the same way all the Steins have been scary throughout history. But Frankie has his own way of being scary that he comes to embrace and his parents come to respect.
Finn: "I think kids would like this book because Frankie basically is able to transform from babyish scary to scary enough to make his mom and dad faint. I think that is kind of funny."
Big Pumpkin by Erica Silverman. A witch having trouble pulling her pumpkin off the vine gets some help from a ghost, vampire, mummy and bat. They end up becoming friends and bonding over the yummy pie.
Sabine: "I think kids would like this book because the witch tried really hard to get the pumpkin off the vine. Then she gets the pumpkin off the vine and makes pumpkin pie for the ghost, the vampire, the bat and the mummy. They had a fun party. Then the witch plants another pumpkin so her friends will come back again soon."
The Ugly Pumpkin by Dave Horowitz. A book that bridges both Halloween and Thanksgiving. An "ugly pumpkin" has a rough go of it until he finally realizes that he isn't an "ugly pumpkin," but a perfectly normal squash. He finally feels he fits in and marches off happily towards Thanksgiving.
Lourdes: "I like at the end he finds what he really is and likes it. Because he's actually a squash and not a pumpkin. But it was mean to tease him at the beginning. At the beginning, he says 'I'm the ugly pumpkin as you can plainly see.' And he means, he doesn't fit in. But at the end he finds out he's a squash and he's really happy."
Otis and the Scarecrow by Loren Long. More of a fall book than a traditional Halloween one. It is a cute story about how Otis is friends with all the creatures on the farm...even the scarecrow. While the scarecrow doesn't respond or play with Otis and the animals, Otis still won't let him feel left out or alone.
Finn: "I think this book is good because when they try to play the quiet game, the ducks' butts always wiggle and that makes everyone start laughing. But I don't think the ducks know their butts are wiggling."
No comments:
Post a Comment