Monday, September 18, 2017

Sonia Sotomayor: A Judge Grows in the Bronx - 4.2 stars




An inspiring picture book that tells how Sonia grew up very poor in the Bronx, but her mother worked multiple jobs to ensure Sonia and her brother got a good education.  This work ethic rubbed off on Sonia who became valedictorian of her high school class before going to Princeton, becoming a judge and eventually a Supreme Court justice.  Highly recommend!

Suggested ages: 5 and up

Sabine: 5 out of 5 stars.  "I give it a 5 because it tells how Sonia got older.  And they don't just leave out the parts they didn't know -  I think they looked it up!  People don't know why Sonia wanted to be a judge.  And I like how Sonia tried and never gave up and she got to go past college and high school."

Lourdes:  4.5 out of 5 stars.  "I give it a 4.5 because it is cool how Sonia got to meet President Obama in the White House.  That is cool!  Also I like how she reads a lot of books and is really clever."

Finnegan:  3 out of 5 stars.  "I give it a 3 because I think it talks about some important stuff back when she was younger.  And how hard it was for a Latina girl to be a judge.  And how she used so much of her time that she could have been goofing off and running around playing with other kids, to study to be a judge and get a lot of awards for being the smartest person.  I think this book is for people 8 and up.  My mom just checked the book and it says it is for 4 and up.  I think that is insanity because it talks about racism and civil rights.  Do you think a 4 year old would know about that even if his mom tried to explain?  I don't get it.  If your 4 year old asks you questions about this book when you read it to them, don't blame me, and try your best to explain it."

Amazon link

1 comment:

  1. Love Finn's review! I am going to use "I think that is insanity!" all day today.

    ReplyDelete