Sunday, September 3, 2017

There's a Million Things I Haven't Done, but Just You Wait - 3.6 stars


Who Was Alexander Hamilton by Pam Pollack.  The newest book in the Who Was series.  Clearly capitalizing on the popularity of the musical, it summarizes the life, death and major accomplishments of Hamilton.  It included a few things left out of the musical such as the fact that Alexander had tried to use his influence in the government to protect the rights of Native Americans.  Also, it described Aaron Burr's shady Manhattan Company dealings that gives context to Hamilton's dislike of Burr.  I love this series.  Teaching kids about history in an interesting format.

Best suited for 7-11 year olds.  

Sabine - 4 out of 5 stars.  "I think kids would like this book because it talks about the real things that happened to Alexander Hamilton.  In the musical, it didn't tell everybody everything that actually happened."

Lourdes - 3 out of 5 stars.  "Why I give it a 3 is because it is pretty sad.  I mean why do they have to tell about when he died?  One interesting fact is that Hamilton did a lot of stuff for Washington when Washington was sick.  But I liked in general Hamilton was a good person and he did good stuff for the town of New York.  Lin Manuel did a really good job of Hamilton so I think you would get that Hamilton was a good person if you saw the play."

Finnegan - 4 of of 5 stars.  "I recommend this book to other kids because I feel like after hearing the soundtrack of Hamilton or watching the play they might want to know some other stuff about Hamilton.  Like how technically his father wasn't really married to his mother which was kind of personal for the rest of Hamilton's life.  Also, in the play it didn't tell that Burr was more of a jerk than it appears.  Also, the book is just pretty interesting in general"

Amazon link if you're interested

No comments:

Post a Comment